Christmas Tree Allergy

Christmas Tree Allergy

charliebrowntree

Oh, Charlie Brown, we love your Christmas tree!

Christmas trees are tradition for many families this time of year, they are festive, look great and have that wonderful pine scent. But some allergy sufferers have long suspected that the trees can trigger symptoms.

A recent study showed that the trees can carry mold spores. The mold begins to produce mold spores in the warm and moist home environment. Researchers found that mold spore counts in homes increased tenfold after two weeks.

Best practices for limiting exposure to Christmas tree allergens include washing the tree and its branches with plenty of water prior to bringing it into your home. After a good cleaning, let your tree sufficiently dry to prevent the growth of new mold.

For families with allergies, it recommended to only have the tree in your home for a maximum of seven days.

With artificial trees, store your tree after the season in a cool, dry place and wrap it securely to keep dust from accumulating for next year.

Happy Holidays!

Source: All-American Allergy Alternatives, LLC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *